Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Is it bad to frequently change the IP of a website?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM Question In general, is it bad to migrate a website from a server to another one and assigning a new IP to it?

In other words, is there any special advantage for having a contant IP for a website in a long period of time?

It is bad from SEO, DNS records, browser caching, and so forth, if the IP of a website is changing?


Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM If the migration to another server is done how it should be, there should be no bad consequences at all. And about the IP change, as far as the content of your sire is available on the old IP address during the propagation of the new one, it will not effect the customers. You may change your backend server IP every few days/hours/minutes if you want.
Reply With Quote Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 PM This is anecdotal, but I found that after an IP change, some email messages sent from a mailing list on my new host went to my "spam" folder in Gmail whereas before they didn't. Easily fixed by dragging those messages to my inbox to re-educate the filter, but users who don't check their spam folder might be affected. But as I say this is anecdotal because I couldn't easily repeat the experiment to prove it.
Reply With Quote Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post This is anecdotal, but I found that after an IP change, some email messages sent from a mailing list on my new host went to my "spam" folder in Gmail whereas before they didn't. Easily fixed by dragging those messages to my inbox to re-educate the filter, but users who don't check their spam folder might be affected. But as I say this is anecdotal because I couldn't easily repeat the experiment to prove it.The above quoted response would probably be the biggest single annoyance with switching, at least after the actual move has been made.

All in all though, as long as enough preparation is done, and the transition is handled by an admin who knows what they are doing, it should not be a problem.

/2cents


Reply With Quote Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post This is anecdotal, but I found that after an IP change, some email messages sent from a mailing list on my new host went to my "spam" folder in Gmail whereas before they didn't. Easily fixed by dragging those messages to my inbox to re-educate the filter, but users who don't check their spam folder might be affected. But as I say this is anecdotal because I couldn't easily repeat the experiment to prove it.This is standard. You have to build IP reputation. And I've commonly had the problem of adopting an IP on multiple blacklists or which has low reputation. mxtoolbox does a good job of checking the blacklists. If you're having an issue with a specific mail service you can usually get some diagnostics if they soft bounce your emails or if they have a way to look up reputation. I think hotmail has tools to do so and they're one of the nastiest about bouncing email. Proper SPF records / email authentication helps over time and I've been told helps when you change IPs.

Do know though that changing the IP of a domain does not always change your mx server. IE if I move a cpanel account to a dedicated IP in my configuration it will still use the main server IP to send outgoing mail. That is, however, another configuration option.

EDIT: I was thinking about dedicated hosting, for shared hosting the following would apply as well as the blacklist lookup: If you're moving to an entirely new server and your mail is consistently going to the spam folder it would probably mean that other sites on the host are spammers. It's tough to fix if you have a shared host unless they assign email to your IP and correctly set up rDNS.. I would venture to say that's rare. Know that you need to be looking up the blacklist for whatever IP outgoing mail is being sent from.

I just had an issue where exim started sending through IPv6 to gmail and everything went to the spam folder because it failed my SPF record.. So many variables with email.


Last edited by critihost; 08-26-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reply With Quote

View the original article here

No comments:

Free Facebook Likes